Years ago, the book publisher that I was working for wanted to create a web presence for its well-established brand. I spearheaded that project and have been putting web content to work for business ever since.
I was ready to lead that project because I had just spent several years immersing myself in internet technologies, business-automation systems, and database design.
I am similarly ready now to help you tackle your content strategy needs. Over the past several years, I have fleshed out a portfolio of business, technical, and creative skills that span the scope of content strategy.
Among the accomplishments in my portfolio:
- founded and operated several web publications
- written, edited, and published a wide variety of other publications
- managed editorial and creative teams of as many as 15 people
- built five custom content management systems and implemented many WordPress and Drupal installations
- designed several relational databases (specifications & ERDs)
- oversaw several CMS and database content migrations
- managed marketing programs for product lines up to $20 million
- served as the product manager for:
- a banner-ad creative agency
- a contextual advertising program
- an automated online-marketing system
- implemented several SEO consulting projects that resulted in double-digit traffic growth and increased sales
The Scope of Content Strategy
Like most content strategists, I draw on, and collaborate with, many disciplines.
Writing & Editing
I have written everything from books to website microcopy, from authoritative industry reports to persuasive marketing copy, from Tweets and blog posts to deeply researched multi-product reviews. I have also worked extensively with writers as an editor of how-to, marketing, and academic publications.
Digital Business Strategy
I have planned, designed, and evaluated innumerable online business launches, digital publishing strategies, and web marketing campaigns.
I have collaborated in many roles with executives and marketing managers on product and company design, high-level messaging, and trademark issues.
I am a design thinker, an amateur ethnographer, and a student of human behavior. I have designed many small- to medium-sized websites myself and supervised the design of several larger sites.
I am conversant and accomplished in database specification and design, taxonomy creation, website labeling and navigation conventions, and search systems.
Even before the term was coined I had embraced the customer-centric, evidence-based business practices that drive good search engine optimization.
Software Project Management
I have articulated design specifications for, and managed the implementation of, several web applications, content management systems, and other software projects.
I am a lifelong publisher. The business of discovering, developing, and disseminating ideas is in my blood. Editorial planning and management, copyediting and proofreading, and content production are second nature to me. A week after I received my journalism degree, I enrolled in a publishing-procedures bootcamp. And I haven’t looked back – well, at least until I was called to content strategy 🙂