PO Box 20704
Seattle, WA 98102
- Content Strategy
- Editorial Management
- Research & Interviewing
- Writing & Editing
- Public Speaking
- Product Management
- Marketing Management
- Event Organizing
- Content Marketing
- WordPress & other CMS’s
Virtual CCO, Founder
Creating subscription-based business that brings content-strategy expertise to startup founders.
Elless Media, Principal
Operate content strategy, web publishing, and digital marketing consultancy. Produce Content Strategy Insights podcast. Developing DIY Content Strategy guides for small businesses.
Well9to5, Founder & Publisher
August 2015-January 2017
Conceived, raised funding for, designed, and operated digital “active office” publication.
WorkWhileWalking, Editor-in-Chief (interim)
Interim editorial lead for office-fitness furniture company publication.
BodyworkU, Founder & Publisher
June 2006-October 2012
Founded, built, and operated continuing education class promotion website.
DigitalCandle, Director of Marketing
June 2001-January 2002
Managed marketing program for marketing-services startup serving shareware developers.
workz.com, Executive Producer
April 1998-December 2000
Jack-of-all-trades senior manager for dot-com startup. Roles included web design, software and editorial project management, banner-ad agency management, and special projects.
Big Tent Media Labs, Senior Producer
August 1996-August 1997
New-media producer for early dot-com publishing start-up.
- Seattle Interactive Conference, October 18, 2019, “Content Strategy for Startups” presentation
- Impact Hub Seattle, August 7, 2019, “Introduction to Content Design” Lunch + Learn
- Office Nomads, June 11, 2019, “Content Strategy” Lunch + Learn
- Content Strategy Seattle meetup, April 4, 2019, “Content Marketing Panel” moderator
- Lean Startup meetup, April 1, 2019, “Keeping Your Customers and Optimizing User Experience” panelist
- Seattle Public Library, March 3, 2019, “Content Design 101” workshop
- WordCamp Seattle, Nov. 10, 2018, “DIY Content Strategy” presentation
- WordCamp Portland, Nov. 3, 2018, “DIY Content Strategy” lightning talk
- WordCamp Vancouver, Oct. 13, 2018, “DIY Content Strategy” presentation (video)
- Seattle Startup Week, Oct. 9, 2018, “How Events Can Build Community around Your Startup’s Brand Story” presentation
- WordCamp NYC, Sept. 15, 2018, “DIY Content Strategy” workshop
- Impact Hub Seattle, Aug. 22, 2018, “DIY Content Strategy” lunch + learn
- American Industrial Hygiene Association/Tennessee Valley Section, Oct. 5, 2016, “The Active Office” full-day professional development course
- Spark Weekend Seattle, Feb. 1, 2014, “The 3 R’s of Habit Formation” presentation at lifehacking conference
- Ignite Seattle, Nov. 8, 2012, “Build Your Own Standing Desk” 5-minute lightning talk
Community Event Organizer, Volunteer, and Promoter
Plan, produce, manage, and promote arts, educational, and charity events, from 10 to 10,000+ attendees.
- Larry’s Events, publish weekly Seattle community events announcement list, 2017-present
- Content Strategy Seattle meetup, Co-Organizer, 2018-present
- WordPress Open-Source Community
- Content Strategy & Curriculum Development for diversity-and-inclusion speaker outreach training, 2018-2019
- Planning Team, Global Community Sponsor program, 2017-2019
- Community Deputy for WordCamps and WordPress meetups, 2017-2019
- WordCamp Seattle 2017, Co-Lead Organizer for annual gathering of WordPress enthusiasts; led large group of volunteer organizers producing two-day, four-track, 500-attendee conference
- WordCamp Seattle 2016, Sponsor Wrangler
- WordCamp Seattle 2011-15, Volunteer
- Ignite Seattle, community quick-talk event
- Editing & Content Strategy, 2018-2019
- Organizer & Slide Wrangler, 2015-2018
- Dent Conference, statement of values steering committee, 2017
- Fremont Noodle House Group, Founder, business networking lunch, 1998-2013
- TEDxRainier (now TEDxSeattle)
- Stage Manager, 2012
- Production Manager, 2011
- Seattle Empty Bowls, website hosting and on-site volunteer for annual fundraising event, 2009-present
- Moisture Festival, Lighting, Stage Management, and Security Volunteer for world’s largest comedy/variety/vaudeville festival, 2008-present
- Seeds of Compassion, “Compassion Ambassador” Concierge, customer support for high-level (>$10K) event sponsors, 2008
- Executives on Auction,Seattle Liaison for innovative Canadian charity, 2003
- World Rhythm Festival (Seattle World Percussion Society), Board Member and Organizer for annual music, dance, and culture event that drew as many as 10,000 attendees, 2001-03
- JohnnyJetpack.com, production assistant and webmaster for mad scientist, 2002-present
Massage Therapist and Educator
Professional, independent massage practice focusing on injury treatment and wellness (part-time to almost full-time, depending on level of publishing and consulting activity).
- created and evangelized the field of “office fitness”; wrote and spoke on sitting disease, inactivity physiology, habit formation, exercise, ergonomics, and posture, 2007-2016
- wrote “Scared Sitless: The Office Fitness Book“
- teach popular couples massage class
- assistant teacher for orthopedic-massage continuing-education classes
- teaching assistant for massage-school business classes